Wednesday, October 6, 2010

IMPROV LANDED ME THE JOB by Xulf Ali


-IMPROV LANDED ME THE JOB- by Xulfiqar Ali

As I waited in the big corporate IT office, waiting impatiently, having gone to the Men’s room twice already, nervous wreck, knowing that this is the time to make it or break it. Anxiety got the best of me.

Having moved to Canada from Dubai, since May this year, I had done all sorts of odd jobs from Debt collections to Insurance sales. I knew this was my big break and for whatsoever reason I had to sell myself to the person interviewing me, this was the moment of truth. The night before, I had told myself looking in the mirror again and again “I SEE PRIDE, I SEE POWER, I SEE A BAD ASS MUTHA, WHO WON’T TAKE NOTHIN’ FROM NOBODY!!” till I realize it’s a movie scene from “Cool Runnings”. Funny how some stuff sticks with you forever.

Sitting in this big room in the reception area, waiting, the clock ticking goes louder and louder, I was shaking my right leg so fast I bet BEN JOHNSON would have been proud of me. Than my name is called. I walk in to a small conference room that looks like it was going under major renovation.

The interviewer was a nice person, he got me as comfortable as possible, great people management skills, than the IT related questions start. I have no idea about IT? I mean, I get super-super excited when I transfer pictures off my camera to my laptop! I knew the interview is going all downhill. Several questions were thrown at me, I felt like one of those circus shows where I was spinning on a board and the interviewer was throwing Knives at me, but the only difference was he was hitting me with the questions every time. Then I was asked, could you ROLE PLAY and try to sell me a Pen. At this point, I was so stressed and sweaty; I actually believe I felt some sweat from under my man boobs slide. I accepted.

I told myself, “Xulf it’s now or never if you are not going to get the job! At least walk out with a presence.” The Xulf then switched ON and it was time to go LOCOO BABYEEE!! I gave my pitch, he’d throw questions at me, I felt like a cricketer, every question was a six shot. When we finished, he was kind enough to walk me out to the reception area and while we walked he asked, “Do you do a lot of improv?” I hesitated and answered “Yes, as a matter a fact I did, use to go every Wednesday in Dubai. We had a fun group, we all knew what the other one would say and it was a lot of fun!” he looked up, smiled and said, “Yes, I could make that out, because you were thinking outside the box, I tried throwing some twisted questions and you pleasantly surprised me with your answers, I liked that you have the capabilities as such and it truly builds a person’s character.” I smiled and walked to my car thinking hell, if I did not get the job I sure kicked butt at the Role play.

After a long drive back filled with contemplation I arrived home to find an offer letter in my inbox from the big corporate IT Company! And the rest they say is history….

1 comment:

  1. Wooohooo!
    1st, I LURV cool runnings, hahhaha!
    2nd, The Xulf should always be switched on...no sweating and all that bull!
    3rd, Congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete